[syslinux] Selecting hard disk boot when running syslinux from floppy

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Fri Apr 5 12:53:26 PST 2002

On Fri, 05 Apr 2002 12:15:50 -0800, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

>> I was wondering if it is possible to have the option to boot from hard disk
>> when syslinux loads from floppy.

>Not in the current version.  Well, it *sort of* is... you could write a
>COMBOOT program to chainload a harddisk.  Hmmm... you got me thinking
>now.  Always a dangerous thing.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're talking about, but if the hard
disk already have a boot loader on it (ie: lilo), can't you chainload the
512 boot sector directly?

dd if=/dev/hda of=bootsect.bs bs=512 count=1

kernel bootsect.bs

I used this to build remote systems (I could not put floppy in and out)
starting them from floppy and then rebooting them from HD (with the syslinux
floppy still inside), then from HD I could edit syslinux.cfg and have it
rebooted from floppy, and so on.

giulioo at pobox.com