[syslinux] ISOLINUX: COMBOOT INT22 Additions?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Dec 19 11:33:56 PST 2002

G. Murali Krishnan wrote:
> Additional functions which could be added to those
> already supported by INT22 under ISOLINUX.
>
> Check if partition is bootable
> ------------------------------
>
> Input: Drive Number and Partition Number
> Output: Returns whether the given partition has boot able code.
>
> Drive number = 0,1... for floppy drives, 0x80,0x81,... HDD
> Partition number makes sense only for HDDs.
> Partition number = 0 will check if MBR has boot code (?)
>                  > 0 will check if that partition number has boot code.
>
> Boot into Partition
> Input: Drive number, partition number
> Output: boots into given drive/partition and does not return if boot code
>         exists or returns with an error if no boot code....

Not necessary.

You can read the disk directly with INT 13h and look at the return data
yourself.  I only want to add INT 22h functions for things that cannot
be easily replicated in the client, or would make the client
medium-dependent when it shouldn't be.  However, in this case the
operation is inherently medium-dependent, so it doesn't add value.