[syslinux] Question concerning booting from Floppy Drive

David Reimer davidgreimer at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 4 04:15:14 PDT 2002

First I'd like to thank you, and everyone who has contributed to the
isolinux development. It has been the solution to many of my development
needs.

Currently I am creating a Linux system that runs directly from CD. Currently
the CD is working and I am using isolinux to boot the CD. The compressed
kernel is approximately 2 meg and the compressed initial ramdisk is
approximately 4 meg. What I am interested in is using a floppy to boot the
kernel and initial ramdisk which are on the CD. Is the a way to use a floppy
to boot strap the isolinux system which is on the CD, or if this is not
possible, or just a bad idea is there a way to boot the kernel and initial
ramdisk on the CD using a floppy in some other fashion. The reason I am
interested in doing this is that many of the systems that I currently have
can not boot directly from CD and the kernel and initial ramdisk are to big
to fit on a floppy or floppies. Unfortunately, loadlin is not a solution due
to its kernel and ramdisk size limitations. Any help you could offer would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David G. Reimer
Fame Information Services