[syslinux] isolinux bug?

Izzy Blacklock izzyb at ecn.ab.ca
Sun Jul 7 14:24:15 PDT 2002

Please forgive me if this is a known issue or "feature".  I didn't notice
anything in the list archives or the docs, so I'm assuming this is a bug.

I was attempting to create a bootable LFS cd using the instructions found at
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/boot-cd_easy.txt. I wasn't following
the steps exactly as I had some personal changes I wanted to make.  One of
them was the name of my kernel image.  This is where I found the bug(?).

Instead of using lfskernel for the name as Thomas outlined in his
instructions, I chose to use "vmlinuz-lfs".  I put the kernel in the isolinux
directory with this name and modified the isolinux.cfg as follows:

default bootcd

label bootcd
  kernel vmlinuz-lfs
  append initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=16384

Without fail, every time I booted from a CD created in this manner I ended up
with the following error:

Could not find kernel image: vmlinuz-lfs
boot:

After trying a number of things, I eventually decided to simply rename my
image to "linux" and adjust isolinux.cfg accordingly.  It worked!!!!  Well
almost, I have another problem now, but it has nothing to do with isolinux.

So, are there known limits on what makes a valid kernel image name?  My test
boots using LILO to boot from the image on the HD didn't have any problems.
The file system looks correct when I view the contents of the cd.  There
doesn't appear to be any name mangling or anything.  Is it the length of the
name or the dash maybe that causes the problem?  I'd run more tests, but I
have other problems to work out first.  I might be able to run some later if
it would help.

...Izzy