[syslinux] Hard disk image to use with Memdisk

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 11 09:59:05 PDT 2002

Luigi Iotti wrote:
Hallo

I would like to have an image of about 8Mb to boot with ISOLINUX and
MEMDISK. I am not able to create an image complete of the MBR, as
MEMDISK requires. I think I should emulate an 8Mb disk in memory or on a
file, but I am able to do so only for a 'single partition'. Could you
please suggest me a way to obtain the image? I can use Linux or Windows
tools, it does not matter. Obviously I do not own a 8Mb Hard Disk, or it
would be simple...

--------

Personally, I've used DOSEMU to generate hard disk images.  The one
slight catch is that DOSEMU disks have a 128-byte header containing the
geometry data that need to be stripped (maybe I should make MEMDISK
support these images as-is...)

Another option which shouldn't be ignored is the "large floppy" option.
  With a "large floppy" you don't need an MBR or partition table, but
you have to tell the geometry to MEMDISK using the command-line options
(use an "append" statement in the config file.)