[syslinux] memdisk and winxp boot disk

Roy Badami roy.badami at globalgraphics.com
Wed Jun 19 03:49:54 PDT 2002

 > I'm guessing that NT tries to speak to the disk using an internal floppy
 > driver, rather than using BIOS INT 13h calls.  Since there is absolutely
 > no way for MEMDISK to intercept direct access to the hardware, you'll
 > need to make sure that it uses BIOS calls *only* to access the virtual disk.

I don't think that's it.  I'm pretty sure that NT uses the BIOS to
read the floppy; the file it's failing to load is from the hard disk
of the machine (which would normally also be read via the BIOS).

I don't know enough about isolinux to know whether this could be the
cause, but is it perhaps using one of the El Torito emulation modes
that would cause the physical hard disk to get remapped to appear to
be the second hard disk?

If that's the case, you could try editing boot.ini to reference
rdisk(1) instead of rdisk(0) -- I think that's right, though it could
be disk(1)

	-roy