[syslinux] syslinux unable to load

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Sep 3 01:45:52 PDT 2002

neeraj kharbanda wrote:
> Hi there,
> I could find no one to solve my problem. So I'v to send you this mail.
> I'm trying to load syslinux on an ide zip drive. It is formatted with
> fat16 file system. I get the error unable to access boot sector. I'd
> been trying to sort out this problem from last 15 days but all in vain.
> Please help me.
> Regards

If it's unable to access the *boot sector*, then SYSLINUX isn't loaded,
and the problem is with your BIOS.  The first thing I would check that
your BIOS can boot from a Zip drive, and check that it's configured in
the BIOS boot sequence (all of this is in your BIOS setup screens.)

The other thing that's important is that Zip discs are usually
partitioned.  That means that:

a) The BIOS better give them a hard disk drive number (0x80 or higher);
b) They need a Master Boot Record (MBR);
c) The one partition has to be marked active.

If (a) isn't true the disc *has* to be formatted floppy style, with no
partition table.

I hate Zip drivees.  I think they managed to kill off the
technologically much better LS-120 drive :(