[syslinux] syslinux-2.05 boot floppy failures, size related?

Mikael Pettersson mikpe at csd.uu.se
Wed Aug 20 06:10:52 PDT 2003

I have occasional problems booting kernel boot floppies
made with syslinux-2.04/2.05. The symptom is that syslinux
loads an initial part of the kernel image and then halts with

Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.

Observations:
1. It's not a media problem. I've switched floppies and
    reformatted them, but the failure persists.
2. It's not a BIOS problem. The latest image that failed
    does so on three very different PCs.
3. The problem appears to occur for specific image sizes.
    The latest failed bzImage is 947503 bytes, but enlarging it
    by including more stuff in the kernel allows syslinux to
    boot it. (I've booted 1200K+ images often, but syslinux
    seems to have problems with around 900K+ and 1100K+ images.)
4. syslinux -s makes no difference at all.

I've put my latest failed bzImage and corresponding 2.6.0-test3
.config in http://www.csd.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/syslinux205bug/,
in case anyone can debug it. I tried looking at syslinux' source
but it's a big pile of assembly so I'm lost there...
--
Mikael Pettersson (mikpe at csd.uu.se)
Computing Science Department, Uppsala University