[syslinux] Planning a 2.08 release

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Dec 1 17:09:42 PST 2003

ganapathy murali krishnan wrote:

> Right now my usage is only 87% of the 2.88MB floppy, so I hope I am not
> forced into the hard disk image route in the near future.

You can create floppy images much larger than 2.88MB -- you just have to
specify the geometry explictly.

> BTW, if I give memdisk a hard disk image, can one make sure that DOS
> recognizes it not as C: but some thing later, i.e. make DOS assign drive
> letters to the regular hard disks first and then assign one to the
> memdisk image?

That might not be too hard to do.  There are a few caveats, however:

a) MEMDISK must be a BIOS drive, so if there are non-BIOS drives in the
system (device drivers, in other words), they will always come after the
MEMDISK.

b) MEMDISK must be adjacent to all the real drives, i.e. if the BIOS has
real drives C: (80h) and D: (81h) MEMDISK could be C:, D: or E:, but
not, for example, F: or Q:.