[syslinux] Pxelinux/memdisk with XP "MS-DOS" boot disk

Dan Petersen dpetersen55 at new.rr.com
Wed Dec 31 16:33:47 PST 2003

At 04:58 PM 12/31/2003, you wrote:

>I looked a bit at it, and when run from memdisk it jumps off into
>hyperspace pretty early on when run from MEMDISK.  However, it doesn't
>seem to have anything to do with the calls to MEMDISK, so I'm pretty
>puzzled by the whole thing.  Also, the kernel on that disk does some very
>strange things early on.
>
>         -hpa

I had my doubts that this was a problem with MEMDISK, it's worked well for
everything else so far.  Strange things are to be expected considering the
source of the kernel :)

I will try to get that universal boot disk to work with FreeDOS, it's
kernel is even smaller than the XP one.  I've got a feeling that all the
extra drivers that get loaded during the later part of the boot process
aren't going to behave though.  The main feature I want is the PCI network
card auto-detection, it has detected and installed the right driver for
every card I've tried so far.