[syslinux] LSS-16 perl scripts and Unicode

Sean Atkinson sean at netproject.com
Wed Jan 15 06:21:35 PST 2003

Hi,

I've just been playing with the Logo for the Knoppix bootable CD, which
is in the LSS-16 format used by your ppmtolss16 and lss16toppm perl
scripts from syslinux-1.75.  On my standard Red Hat 8.0 distribution
these both fail due to Unicode errors.  After a little investigation, it
turns out that my LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 environment causes perl (5.8.0-55) to
treat standard I/O as Unicode.  I can work around this automatically by
adding "no encoding;" to the top of your scripts, or manually by setting
LANG=en_GB.

I didn't notice anything about this in your Changelog up to 2.00, so I
figured you may like to know.

HTH,

Sean.

--