[syslinux] pxe weirdness

James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov
Tue Jul 1 09:51:12 PDT 2003

Thanks for the response, but the problem is the PXE client is never
getting to the TFTP server because it has received 2 gateways from the
DHCP server...

I'm using dhcrelay to send DHCP requests from my PXE client to our DHCP
server. The problem is that the PXE client receives both the correct
gateway as defined in the dhcpd.conf, but also receives the dhcp relay
servers IP address as the gateway, in the order of "Dhcp relay ip"
"correct gateway ip".  Of course this is screwing the second part of the
PXE transaction, which is TFTP, because it has the wrong gateway address.
I can't figure out how the dhcrelay ip is getting thrown into the dhcp
reply and given to the PXE client-- that IP is not specified anywhere in
the dhcpd.conf.  I have tried explicitly setting "option router" for the
ml370 host as you can see below, and it still had no effect.  This is
using dhcp3.0pl1.  The dhcrelay station only has one NIC, and I'm running
with dhcrelay -d 192.168.110.206, which is my DHCP/TFTP server.  PXE boots

fine with the seahawk host, and also, if I set up a separate host on the
192.168.40.0 network, the ml370 host boots fine as well.  I'm stumped.
I've included my dhcpd.conf below, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

###########

allow booting;
allow bootp;

not authoritative;
option domain-name "uscourts.dcn";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.13.211,156.119.80.100;
ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

subnet 192.168.110.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 {
option routers 192.168.110.240;
option subnet-mask 255.255.254.0;
option time-offset -5; # Eastern Standard Time
filename "pxelinux.0";

subnet 192.168.40.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 {
option routers 192.168.40.240;
option subnet-mask 255.255.254.0;
option time-offset -5; # Eastern Standard Time
next-server 192.168.110.206;
filename "pxelinux.0";
}

host seahawk {
hardware ethernet 00:02:a5:42:2f:f7;
fixed-address 192.168.110.103;

}

host ml370 {
hardware ethernet 00:0b:cd:22:83:47;
fixed-address 192.168.41.162;
option routers 192.168.40.240;
next-server 192.168.110.206;

}

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394

Erwan Velu <erwan at mandrakesoft.com>
07/01/2003 04:56 AM