[syslinux] Booting from Harddisk

fille manjong fillemanjong at hotmail.com
Wed May 14 14:05:44 PDT 2003

Hi,
I've made several attempts to boot syslinux from the harddisk.
I have a win 98 startdiskette with syslinux and copybs.
I strictly follow the procedure in the syslinux documentation.
Yet, the result of the boot is not that linux is starting.
Instead, the Microsoft windows screen flashes for a couple of
seconds and is then replaced by a Dos prompt.
Syslinux is V2.04. The PC is an IBM Aptiva 486 DX2

I've also tried to prepare the HD using a pure Linux alternative.
(Leaf/Bering 1.1 diskette with kernel supporting IDE disks)
In this case running syslinux fails with undefined symbol open64

In attempt to remedy this, I've tried to link syslinux statically.
The 'make installer' fails with:
'nasm -O99 -f bin -DPATCH_OFFSET=`cat patch.offset` \
        -l syslinux.lst -o syslinux.com syslinux.asm
syslinux.asm:447: error: expression syntax error

This error is probably because patch.offset is an empty file
removing it and 'make patch.offset' yields:
make patch.offset
perl findpatch.pl > patch.offset
findpatch.pl: Did not find patch area signature
make: *** [patch.offset] Error 255

I've also tried syslinux V 1.61 but here there are other compilation errors.
I am running a Redhat 8.0 linux on the machine I'm compiling on.

Any suggestions for how to be able to make the Harddisk bootable
would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Anders