[syslinux] quick dirty installation help

Robert Woerle robert at paceblade.com
Mon May 19 01:41:43 PDT 2003

hi

can someone give me a quick and dirty installation help how to get
syslinux/isolinux to work ...

the deal is i want to use that to creat a recovery CD for my device
using partimage ..
so what i need to have is a booted Linux with the basic tools , like cp
ls cd ,etx and partimage of course ...

then i need to know where to place some shell scripts so that they are
executed automaticly ..

My System from where i do this all is a Suse 8.2 ,,, i am also using the
initrd which this system can create with the Suse modified mkinitrd ...

i reached a point where the CD boot`s ( i am testing this everytime in
vmware .. so i dont need to burn a CD each time )
and load the kernel and the initrd ...
then i get to a prompt which is i think a ash shell

i look a little into the mkinitrd from suse and found that they link a
ash.static as first thing ... they also make insmod become inlined ...

my problem now is that at this prompt i cannot envoke any commands ,
although i did copy them to the cd !

So the BIG cahuna for me today is how do i get a bash prompt and be able
to do cd , cp , ls , lsmod , insmod , and also exe shell scripts ...

I know this might be a very stupid issue , but i and finished with
reading the online help and i still cannot manage it !

Cheers Rob

--
*Robert Woerle