[syslinux] pxe booting an iso image?

L thomson at mailandnews.com
Sun Nov 9 17:38:38 PST 2003

I've can boot floppy images (eg toms, barts) booting via pxe.  I can also boot
initrd's via pxe.  Would be very cool to be able to boot iso's (knoppix,
gentoo-basic) via pxe also.

Looking thru the docs, looks like this would not be a straightforward thing.
Would need to loop mount the iso, then loop mount the .img.  Or else copy them
all the pertinent files to the tftpboot directory.  Or some combination.  In
any case, doesn't look like straightforward.  Am I missing something?  or
would it really be this convoluted?

Ideally, what I'd like to do is just grab the latest iso of whatever, and
symlink it to the pxe config.

I was thinking this would be an FAQ, but I didn't find any reference, so if it
is please accept my apologies, and point me to the references.

Thanks in advance.

LT