[syslinux] Local boot problem

Pawel Oleksik oleksik at awa.mat.agh.edu.pl
Mon Nov 10 14:36:39 PST 2003

> Pawel Oleksik wrote:
> >
> >>It'd be better if you set your BIOS to fall back to HD boot if NIC boot
> >>fails, though.
> >
> > No, because it wouldn't give me expected behavior.  What I need is a network
> > controlled bootloader. It should check a scheduler (which will be available in
> > the LAN) and according to the answer boot from the tftp or local device.
> >

> And...?  I certainly don't understand what you're missing.  PXELINUX
> will be your network controlled boot loader.
>
> 	-hpa

Oh, it's probably because of my English.
Let me give an example:
	hda1 with installed M$,
	hda2 with linux (and lilo in bootsector),
	and other linux o tftp server.
I would like a client station to boot 2nd stage loader (maybe from the net,
like pxelinux) and according to other conditions (like an answer from a
scheduler) boot a system from hda1 or hda2 or from the net.

I hope it can be done with pxelinux. Maybe not from the first shot, maybe
using comboots ...

best regards
p.o.