[syslinux] filename remapping -> hostip filename prefix?

Erik Dykema ed2019 at columbia.edu
Mon Nov 24 11:01:55 PST 2003

Mr. Anvin-
	Thanks very much for your response.  I have decided to try and fix the
problem by upgrading the tftp server to tftpd-hpa.  Incidentally, the
guy here at Columbia who has been maintaining our tftpd server, Johan
Anderson, says that he has been chatting with you in the past, so I am
merely following in the footsteps of giants.
	One question I have:
	Our tftpd server seems to be a much branch of the same BSD code from
which you tftpd-hpa server was created.  We have made a modification to
it, however, which produces the following result;
	A machine's IP address is used to prefix it's get request, so that when
machine 128.1.1.1 requests the filename "/treasure", what it really gets
out of the filesystem is NOT the file /var/tftp/treasure, but the file:
/var/tftp/128.1.1.1/treasure
	Where "/var/tftp" is the directory specified on the command line or in
inetd.conf.
	We then have many directories in our /var/tftp directory , some of
which are links to a 'default' set of images, some of which are more
particular, which allows us more fine grained control over what certain
machines see, without having to pass directory names through DHCP.
	I was contemplating attempting to extract this functionality from our
codebase and merge it into your code base, and came across the filename
remapping options in your server, which I suspect might be able to do
exactly what we do.  I was looking for an example to confirm, but have
found none.  Do you think that the filename re-mapping stuff could be
used in this way?

thanks much again,
Erik Dykema