[syslinux] COMBOOT examples?

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 24 15:43:54 PST 2003

I wrote (what I think is) a useful piece of comboot code, to autoboot
into various images. Here is a small explanation of what it does

-------------- INTRO TO AUTOBOOTING -----------

The comboot code, reads a "stack" of labels pops one off the "stack",
and uses the comboot API to boot into the specified label. In case the
"stack" is empty or the stack has not been setup, it boots into the
label specified by its command line argument.

Another utility, creates such a "stack" by writing the "stack" to an
unused portion of the hard disk.

A typical use is as follows

---- contents of file "bootorder" -----
# Comment line
# First install windows
winstall
# Windows needs a few reboots off the local hard disk to
# finish the installation.
local
local
local
local
# Now we can start with the debian installation
linstall firewall=yes image=debian
local
----- end of file "bootorder" -----

$ writeker /dev/hda < bootorder

after writeker has been called, every succesive boot using the comboot
code will result in the execution of the images in the specified order.

The writeker utility is a binary which executes under linux, the
corresponding readker.c32 is the comboot code.

Would people like to see code like this packaged with syslinux?
Hopefully more people will start to use COMBOOT to do some non-trivial
things.

- Murali