[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.08-pre5 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Nov 25 21:47:47 PST 2003

Goodness, how many prereleases has there been in the last week... have
lost count...

Anyway, I have implemented the already-promised chainbooting API, and
have included a sample program to chainboot floppies (it works for
harddisks too, but only for the MBR.)

As a bonus, in the process I actually discovered that booting .bs/.bss
images under SYSLINUX was actually broken... that has been fixed.

Oh, and since it looks like the thing is actually going to get used,
I've added .c32 to the list of extensions which are automatically
searched for.

As usual:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/

Changes in 2.08 so far:
         * Add "timeoutcmd" to allow timeout to have a different action
           than just pressing Enter.
         * Fix bugs in the COMBOOT/COM32 command-line parsing.  APPEND
           now works with COMBOOT/COM32 images.
         * PXELINUX: Poll for ARP requests while sitting at the
           prompt.  This makes some boot servers a lot less unhappy.
         * PXELINUX: Actually free sockets when we get a failure
           (including file not found.)  This bug would cause us to run
           out of sockets and thus "go deaf" after a while.
         * MEMDISK: Add an API to query for the existence of MEMDISK.
         * SYSLINUX: Fix loading boot sectors (.bs/.bss) from floppy
           disk.
         * .c32 is now one of the extensions searched for automatically.