[syslinux] USB boot

Erwan Velu erwan at mandrakesoft.com
Wed Nov 26 06:48:25 PST 2003

> It depends on your device and on your BIOS.  If the answer is anything
> but USB-HDD, then you shouldn't have an MBR on the disk at all.
> I suspect the answer is USB-HDD (that seems to be the case for most the
> USB keys I've seen), but I don't know for sure.

I've saw many BIOSES that considering some usb keys as USB-ZIP but the
geomtry of your key impact the way the BIOS consider your key.
Under windows on the PQI website, their is a tool that allow you to
format your key as USB-FDD, USB-ZIP or USB-HDD.
It seems the boot loader you use, change also the kind of usb key you
have. In my case, syslinux gives me a USB-FDD/ZIP and grub an USB-HDD
key.

PS: On my A7n8X-Deluxe, I must activate "USB MOUSE LEGACY" for enabling
the usb boot option. Kind of tricky bios :)
--
Erwan Velu
Linux Cluster Distribution Project Manager