[syslinux] trying to boot a usb-box

Johnny Feelgood johnnyfg at 28an.com
Wed Nov 26 12:20:12 PST 2003

Hello I have a 120GB usb2.0 disk that my two computers cant boot using bios.
I have partitioned as follows:
/dev/sda1	Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2	Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda3	Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda4	extended
/dev/sda5	Linux	boot-x86
/dev/sda6	Linux	boot-ppc
/dev/sda7	Linux	swap
/dev/sda8	Linux	root-x86
/dev/sda9	Linux	root-ppc
I have no problem installing using chroot the x86-linux (gentoo).
Only is to boot without using the ordinary /dev/hda.
I want also be able to boot the cdrom in such way that the bios thinks that
/dev/sda is the first ide-disk, ie to be able to install window$ to the
usb-disk. Also later be able to install a ppc-gentoo using another
boot-floppy or booting directly to the usb depending on what the macintosh
can do.

I dont like the idea to have to update a boot-floppy with new kernel, Instead
I want a clean floppy-boot that only mount usb-partitions and the boot MBR on
/dev/sda as if it was BIOS who did it.
Tricky is also not to umount usb during reboot before everything is done.
I got that problem when using the "runtboot3.img" from the RUNT-project.
http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/runt/