[syslinux] Win32 Syslinux

Lars Munch lars at segv.dk
Sat Nov 29 14:08:50 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:55:01PM -0800, Alex Pavloff wrote:

> I've been playing with the Win32 SYSLINUX, and it fails if you're not
> using NT or 2K or XP.  There are some differences when using it under
> Win95/98/ME, but is there any reason that this program couldn't just
> have a different codepath for those older version of Windows?

syslinux.exe does not work on win95/98/ME. On those platforms you have
to use syslinux.com (16bit DOS version).

The reason why syslinux.exe does not work on Win95/98/ME is that raw
disk access on these systems are not directly supported. I have tried to
use the method described here:

http://www.codeguru.com/system/ReadSector.html

but I have never finished the code (I never needed it bad enough since
syslinux.com works fine on win9x). It should be possible to get working
without to much hassle, at least for floppy disks.

For more information on raw disk access trouble on win9x see also:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/diskio/index.htm

-- Lars Munch