[syslinux] Pxelinux/memdisk with Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk floppy

lode leroy lode_leroy at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 07:29:07 PDT 2004

Just for the record, I want to let the list know that I succeeded in
booting a modified Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk floppy from

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bdriver/bootdisk/

I started with a Win98 Bootfloppy from http://www.tobs.uku.co.uk.

Then I made a disk image from this, using dd.exe from cygwin.

Then I converted this disk image from 1.44MB to 2.88MB with winimage.

Then I copied the files from the Universal TCP/IP Network bootdisk to the
image, by mounting the file on a linux computer (mount -t vfat -o loop
Win98tcp.img Win98tcp).

I added mem.exe to the files.cab, using EXTRACT.EXE and CABARC.EXE from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;310618 I also added
ntfsdos.exe from http://www.sysinternals.com/files/ntfs30r.zip.

I added emm386.exe to the floppy image, and added the following to
CONFIG.SYS

device=emm386.exe /noems

I use pxegrub from grub 0.94 on my tftp server, I have the following in my
GRUB menu:

title Win98 Network Bootdisk
root (nd)
kernel /memdisk
initrd /Win98tcp.img

The memdisk is from syslinux-2.08
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-2.08.tar.gz)

After booting I'm left with about 350 KB free memory...