[syslinux] Good, bad and ugly

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Dec 6 19:07:34 PST 2004

Quinn wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>

>> The one thing that seems possible to go is the automatic search for
>> LDLINUX.SYS.  The boot sector can hard-code the location of this file,
>> or perhaps only the beginning of it.  This means the file cannot be
>> moved, but it's already standard that a file with the System attribute
>> set shouldn't be moved.  It also means it's no longer "just a file";
>> it will not be possible to copy it or write it with anything other
>> than the syslinux installer, to the extent it ever was.
>

> Is this not what grub does currently?  The address for the next piece of
> code is in the mbr and uses it to load the second stage loader - am I
> correct?
>
> I believe MS/PC-DOS does the same thing - it looks for IO.SYS/IBMBIO.COM
> in the fat table, loads it, then executes it.

No, MS-DOS actually loads IO.SYS based on its directory entry, which is
the "correct" thing to do.

> I'll vote for the last method - very similiar to the way DOS loads - and
> your right - many defragmentation programs don't move files that have
> the system bit on them.

Well, the last method (use directory/FAT) is what I currently do.  It's
very "correct"... it just doesn't fit with EBIOS support.  DOS, btw,
selects CBIOS or EBIOS (Win95 OSR2 or later only) at install time, only.