[syslinux] Linux SYSLINUX vs SYSLINUX.EXE

Jack Luepke jluepke at peerless.com
Mon Dec 6 06:06:07 PST 2004

To all or anyone:

I have a very strange problem when using syslinux, and lnx-bbc.  Perhaps
somebody can provide some insight
into Syslinux as it relates to what I'm trying to do.

At Peerless, we use LNX-BBC to build a bootable USB thumbdrive.  We
added a script to init.d in the ram disk
to execute one our scripts during LNX-BBC boot from the USB thumb drive.
I have seen an apparent difference
between the Linux syslinux (we use RedHat 7.3) and the SYSLINUX.EXE
windows version.  We can create
bootable thumbdrives with both versions of syslinux, however when using
the linux version of syslinux the
booted system executes our "added" script in init.d - however - when we
use the SYSLINUX.EXE version we
can boot the thumbdrive however our "added" script in init.d does not
execute.  The only difference in the two
scenarios is the version if syslinux.

In addition if we prepare a USB thumbdrive using the SYSLINUX.EXE
version (and test to verify that our "added"
script in init.d does not execute) then execute the linux syslinux
version on the same thumbdrive, we then
verify that our "added" script in init.d executes during boot.

Weird, right?  I'll pester the LNX-BBC folks as well, but I thought the
Syslinux folks at zytor would maybe have
Insight.

Thanks,
Jack Luepke
Peerless Systems Corporation