[syslinux] isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected

Alexander Dick alexander.dick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:20:58 PST 2004

isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected

Yoper 2.1
---------
ISOLINUX 2.11 2004-08-16 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying
to wing it...
isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected, last ditch attempt with drive = 9F
isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 4209, drive 9F
Boot failed: press a key to retry...

Helix 1.5
---------
ISOLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) isolinux: Loading spec packet
failed, trying to wing it...
isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected, last ditch attempt with drive = 9F
isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 42BD, drive 9F
Boot failed: press a key to retry...

Fedora Core 3
-------------
ISOLINUX 2.11 2004-08-16 isolinux: isolinux: Loading spec packet
failed, trying to wing it...
isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected, last ditch attempt with drive = 9F
isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 426F, drive 9F
Boot failed: press a key to retry...

Knoppix 3.6
-----------
ISOLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) isolinux: isolinux: Loading spec
packet failed, trying to wing it...
isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected, last ditch attempt with drive = 9F
isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 4231, drive 9F
Boot failed: press a key to retry...

SuSE 9.1 Personal
-----------------
ISOLINUX 2.08 0x4072248c isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 4240, drive 9F

Hikarunix (version unknown)
--------------------------
Installation successful. CD-ROM 1 & 2 - OK

MS Windows 98 SE
----------------
Installation successful

MS-DOS (Win98SE boot disk)
--------------------------
FDISK successful, partitions created, formatted

System Configuration:
---------------------
Motherboard: DFI NFII Ultra AL Socket A
CPU: AMD XP3000+ Barton Core 333FSB
Memory: Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz

Motherboard BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
 Copyright (c) 1984-2003, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

BIOS POST echo: 12/24/2003 - nVidia - nForce - 6A61BD4AC - 00

Video Controller: ATI Radeon 9200 w/TV Out (AGP 8X)

HD: Seagate 40GB Barracuda (ATA-100)
HD Controller: Onboard ATA-133

 CD1: Toshiba XM-6401TA (SCSI)
 CD2: Plextor PX-W1210S (SCSI)
Tape: Seagate STD224000N (SCSI)

SCSI controller: Adaptec AHA-2940 S1 Ultra/Ultra W
   BIOS version: 1.23S3
           Date: 1996
    Bus:Device - 01:08h

Adaptec Host Adapter checks
---------------------------
Physical...
Cable termination  - OK (@ Toshiba XM-6401TA)
Cable integrity    - OK
Connections        - Secure
PCI Slot           - Secure

BIOS...
Plug and Play SCAM support                       - Disabled
Host Adapter BIOS                                - Enabled
Support Removable Disks                          - Disabled
Extended BIOS translation for drives > 1 GByte   - Disabled
Multiple LUN                                     - Disabled
BIOS Support for Bootable CD-ROM                 - Enabled
BIOS Support for Int13 Extensions                - Disabled
Support for Ultra SCSI Speed                     - Disabled
Enable Sync Negotiation                          - Yes
Maximum Sync Transfer Rate                       - 5.0
Enable Disconnection                             - Yes
Termination                                      - Automatic

SCSI Disk Utility - ID's...
ID:0 Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6401TA
ID:2 Archive Python 04106-XXX
ID:4 Plextor CD-R PX-W1210S
ID:7 AHA-2940 Ultra/Ultra W

Motherboard BIOS Settings
-------------------------
Boot order: SCSI, Floppy, HDD-0
S-ATA: disabled
Secondary IDE: disabled
USB: disabled
Audio: disabled
LAN: disabled
WOL: disabled
ACPI: disabled
HDD S.M.A.R.T.: disabled
Serial Port 1: disabled
Serial Port 2: disabled
Parallel Port: disabled

IRQ's
=======

Bus         Device                              IRQ
---         ------                                    ---
0           SMBus Controller                10
0           IDE Controller                     14
1           Mass Storage Controller      15
2           Display Controller                11

All attempts for installs tried using the Toshiba XM-6401TA CD-ROM
drive for error codes listed.  I tried two other Adaptec SCSI Host
Adapters and got the same isolinux error messages.  In my search to
resolve this issue through your site and searching with Google, I
came across various problems it could be such as:

 dusty CD
 scratched CD
 corrupted ISO
 not made as an ISO or Image
 bad HD
 bootable BIOS setting
 motherboard BIOS settings
 wrong motherboard BIOS
 partition needs to be created first
 Interrupt 13 issue
 CD not being read consistently
 incorrect controller cabling
 dual CD-ROm drive issue

I also saw on zytor.com and elsewhere that this is an issue with the
BIOS and that it needs to be updated.  I saw that persons did update
and had no change with the errors. I also found the thread "ISOLINUX
fails at boot on Award BIOS v6.00PG" @
http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/002863.html and a similar
thread at http://bugzilla.redhat.com.  A BIOS update concerns me
since only ISOLINUX is having a problem and not some other CD's
that installed correctly.

So I Have Some Questions...
Why do both HIRAKUNIX and Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition install
but none of the other ISOLINUX bootable CD's don't?

If certain files need to be on certain tracks of the ISO burn, will
this be posted at bugtraq so that those who make the ISO's do it
right for isolinux?

Is there a web page or text file that lists what the isolinux error
codes mean?

Will isolinux-debug.bin be the default for the next version of
ISOLINUX so I don't have to build custom CD's for those times
the install may or may not fail?

Will warnings about certain system BIOSes be posted at
syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php?

Will a help page be added to zytor.com that shows users how to create
floppy boot disks now that the images and rawrite are no longer included
on the latest LINUX distributions?

Does isolinux default with the message, "Extremely Broken BIOS
Detected" when the sense commands bring back an answer the probe
doesn't understand?

Or, does the isolinux probe automatically post this error if the BIOS
is not on the list?

What exactly is the probe isolinux getting wrong so I can alert the
Phoenix/Award BIOS people for the
correct fix?

Thank you,
Alexander Dick