[syslinux] isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected

Alexander Dick alexander.dick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:47:48 PST 2004

I don't have Windows 2000 or XP to test the theory about emulation
modes. I used to do hardware support for Dell for 3 years in the
server department.  I know if you disable "BIOS Support for bootable
CD-ROM" in "Configure/View Host Adapter Settings"/"Advanced
Configuration Options" on Adaptec SCSI controllers, the Windows 98SE
CD-ROM won't boot.  Which means the controller and system or
motherboard BIOS are working fine together hardware wise.  If a
separate utility is probing a system BIOS it's not programmed to
understand, all sorts of error messages may occur.  There is a large
possiblity that the PCI bus compliance level on the DFI NFII Ultra A
motherboard may be at version 2.2 or 2.3 and the Adaptec AHA-2940UW
v1.23S3 I have is at 2.0 or 2.1 and that's why the error is coming up
form the probe ISOLINUX is performing.

I have had this firmware version with other SCSI controllers using
ABIT/AwardBIOS motherboards years ago and ISOLINUX never gave me
problems before.  It was mentioned that the new wave ISOLINUX is no
longer running on floppy emulation which is probably the key to why so
many folks are seeing this "Extremely broken BIOS detected" message
nowadays.

I do have a IDE CD-ROM drive, but that will only change the situation
and not resolve why the error codes are coming from hardware that is
working perfectly under MS-DOS and Windows 98 Second Edition and not
working using ISOLINX 2.04, 2.08 & 2.11.

I will try the Toshiba XM-6102B Atapi CD-ROM I have as a test as well
as my Adaptec ASC-29160N SCSI Controller which has a BIOS version of
3.10 (the latest version, dated 2001).

As for trying other CD's and ISO's, I have a 56k modem to the outside
world.  I had someone I know in Texas download and burn about 10
distributions for me with their high speed Internet connection and
ship them to me and that's another reason why I'm trying to resolve
this issue.  Downtime.

The motherboard BIOS is set to boot from SCSI first, then floppy, then
Hard Disk 0, so the "El torrito" BIOS is coming directly from the
Adaptec SCSI Host Adapter and not the AwardBIOS.

- Alexander