[syslinux] Re: Why WinME/XP boot disk doesn't work with MEMDISK

Trentent Tye trentent at voodoopc.com
Tue Dec 14 14:54:30 PST 2004

I have been having problems getting the Western Digital Diagnostics working
on my systems (A8V Deluxe, P5AD2 Premium, A8NSLI Deluxe) and have been
unable to for a long time.  I did have it working at one point and couldn't
figure out why, I posted on here and someone suggested going back to an
older version of memdisk which I did (1.6.7) which is the version I used
when it worked.  To my surprise, it did not work with the older version of
memdisk.

This post made me try the Western Digital Diagnostic Utility (5.0.4) in a
DOS 6.22 disk (vs. the other disks I've tried -- Caldera DR-DOS, Win98SE/ME
DOS) and happily, it now works on these new systems.

Passing this info along, thanks Peter.  Looks like some BIOS flashing
problems I've been having trouble with (freezing when starting the flash but
not actually flashing) are resolved with downgrading the disk to DOS 6.22.