[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.20-pre14 released - RELEASE CANDIDATE

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Dec 22 03:12:13 PST 2004

Alexander Heinz wrote:
>> I have also formally decided to call the final release 3.00 when it's
>> ready.  Between code base rewrite + EXTLINUX + libcom32 + simple menu,
>> there is plenty of reason to bump the major version number.  Yes,
>> libcom32 was introduced a little bit ago, but only with the simple
>> menu system has it really gotten a shakedown
>

> I am grateful to you for implementing the NOESCAPE flag and the new menu
> system. Compared to pxegrub pxelinux only lacks one feature that is
> important to me: multiple tftp servers.
> In October you wrote that this was on your short TODO list. Have you
> rescheduled this feature for syslinux 4.X?

It'll probably be in 3.01 or so; at this point I'm not sure if I want to
hold up 3.00 for it (although maybe I'll just get inspired and finish it
off.)

It'd be useful to know what exactly is important to you, and preferrably
why:

a) TFTP server directive vs. TFTP server prefix (hostname::path or
something);
b) IP address vs DNS query.