[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.00-pre8: Let's try this release thing again
H. Peter Anvin
hpa at zytor.com
Tue Dec 28 16:01:42 PST 2004
Okay, spending the time to dot t's and cross i's (or something like
that), I think I have something now that can be called 3.00-worthy, so
let's call it a release candidate.
Changes over the earlier 3.00 prereleases:
- -m and -a options now supported by the DOS installer.
- PXELINUX now allows IP addresses, FQDNs, and truncated hostnames when
specifying an alternate TFTP server (hostnames without dots get the
DHCP-provided local domain name appended.)
- Simple menu system now support hotkeys, see README.menu for details.
- Add an API function to do hostname resolution.
Please grab this one and try to break it, pretty please.
All changes over 2.13 so far:
Changes in 3.00:
* SYSLINUX: Support FAT32 and EDD. As an unfortunate
consequence, LDLINUX.SYS is no longer an ordinary file; it
is block-mapped at install time, which means it can only be
written using the syslinux installers.
* SYSLINUX: Reorganize the source code for the installers;
each one of the installers (dos, win32, unix, mtools) is now
built in its own subdirectory. In particular, "mtools" is
the unprivileged installer which uses mtools; "unix" is the
privileged installer which uses system calls.
* SYSLINUX: Completely rewritten DOS installer in C.
* ALL: "label" statement information is now stored in a
compressed format, which means that a lot more labels are
permitted (500-1000 in a typical configuration, but depends
on the complexity.)
* EXTLINUX: New derivative, which boots from an ext2/ext3
* SYSLINUX: The DOS and Win32 installers can now optionally
write the boot sector to a file instead of the real boot
sector. This is not supported in the Linux installers,
* ALL: New NOESCAPE command, disables the "hold down the Shift
key to display the prompt" behaviour.
* New simple menu system, as an alternative to the advanced
menu system already present. See README.menu for details.
* PXELINUX: Filenames can now be prefixed with an IP address
or DNS name plus :: (e.g. 192.0.2.1::filename or
server.domain.com::filename), which downloads a file from an
alternate TFTP server, or just a :: (e.g. ::filename), which
suppresses the common pathname prefix. See pxelinux.doc.
* SYSLINUX: Add an -m option to the DOS and Win32 installers
to write an MBR and -a to mark the partition SYSLINUX is
being installed on active.
More information about the Syslinux