[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.00-pre8: Let's try this release thing again

Blaauw,Bernd B. B.Blaauw at student.fontys.nl
Wed Dec 29 09:34:38 PST 2004

Another feature request: compatibility with ancient systems (8086, 80286), at least for LOCALBOOT and for KERNEL filename.BSS
(local boot and loading a DOS bootsectorfile).

This would allow me to use Syslinux as the primary bootloader on a bootdisk which needs to be compatible with even 8086/80286 (386+ specific stuff ofcourse allowed, but set apart).

I'm not able to test it though :(
No suitable emulator, no ancient computer.

Currently I'd have to do something like this (didn't test bootsectorfile support/implementation of Syslinux installer yet!) to install a special bootloader called MetaKern, which loads a bootsector (appended to itself)

SYSLINUX A: C:\SYSLINUX.BIN
COPY /B C:\METACORE.BIN + C:\SYSLINUX.BIN + C:\METABOOT.BOT A:\METAKERN.SYS
SYS C: A: /BOOTONLY /K METAKERN.SYS

I'd rather do only something like SYSLINUX A: , but that would require support of the mentioned ancient x86 platforms.

Bernd

Op deze e-mail zijn de volgende voorwaarden van toepassing:

http://www.fontys.nl/disclaimer

The above disclaimer applies to this e-mail message.