[syslinux] feature requests for 3.01

Jim Cromie jim.cromie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 13:42:28 PST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:22:43 -0800, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> One thing on all of this: have you considered using a preprocessor and
> just use a Makefile to process them on the server?

No, I havent - Im not re-editng the thing *that* much.

> Jim Cromie wrote:
> > 1.   \ at end of lines (in pxelinux.cfg/default, etc) causing/allowing
> > line-wrap ?
> >    for those of us who prefer 80 column screens, and 1 item per line.
>
> This MIGHT be doable.  It's trickier than it sounds, though, as the
> config-file parser is still pretty grotty code, and might make people
> who use PXELINUX against Windows TFTP servers very unhappy.

unhappy cuz of \ file-path separators ?
in *nix, /usr/local/bin/  is mostly same as /usr/local/bin
(ie in /usr/local/bin//foo, // is same as / )
is this not the case in windows ?  (samba shares perhaps? ex \\foo\bar )
ifso, then how does need for trailing \ arise ?

3a.  strip *indented* comments
probably already done, mention for completeness, since I cant easily test now.

> > 5. warn when kernel bootline is > 255 chars
>
> The reason it might not be practical is that there may be too many
> places at which truncation can happen.

any notification, however suboptimal, is better than silence.
A simple 'look for  "Kernel command line" in your syslog/messages'

> > 6. NOCONSOLE 1  option

> I presume this means disabling the primary (VGA) console.  It might be
> doable; I will consider it.  It's not really trivial, though.

as soon as Im at my box (2 weeks), Ill upgrade the bios.
if that fixes the spew, then I withdraw this request.

thanks.

<OT mode="forgiveme" tone="plaintive whine">

while installing debian on a new phat usb-drive, I managed to
hose my dads MBR, and he didnt have a startup disk (figures!).
grub stage 1 went to hda, not sda, so I may be using isolinux
for my next try (run from my own box this time)

In PlanB, (therefore superrescue, RH-7.2), how does one mount a usb
drive (so I can attempt a rescue)?
on FC-3 it just works, and the stuff Ive googled is unhelpful - ie wrong.

I modprobed usb-storage,
then mount -t usb none /proc/bus/usb
devices (empty) & drivers (usbdevfs, usb-storage, hub) showed up,
but no 001, 002, etc

</>