[syslinux] Syslinux using Asset Tag (from Dell or Compay) instead of MAC Adress

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Feb 4 23:08:08 PST 2004

huber at hsn.at wrote:
> I am using PXELINUX to unattened install our machines with XP.
>
> It is a not very easy to handle with mac adresses because mac
> adresses can change when a motherboard is changed, but the asset tag
> from dell (or also from compaq) will be also updated when the motherboard is
> changed to the original value, so our unique key here is the asset tag.

Well, presumably you have a database somewhere of which MAC address go
with which machine.

> So my idea is to change the behaviour so that it will not check
> for the configuration file on the server by using the mac adress, instead
> of this i want to read the asset tag from the bios and use this key
> to determine the pxelinux config file.
>
> Has anyone maybe already done this?

Is there a spec for obtaining the value of this asset tag?

The big problem I see with it is that it's state kept local on the
machine, so if it's wrong it could be hard to fix, but I guess that's
not my problem :)