[syslinux] Cannot Boot PC-Dos Image with memdisk

Eddie Atherton Eddie_Atherton at attglobal.net
Sun Jan 11 21:54:16 PST 2004

Hi,  I'm trying to build a boot CD following "Bart's way to create bootable
CD-Roms (www.nu2.nu)" using isolinux and memdisk.  The image I'm trying to
boot is built containing IBM's PC-Dos.  This works perfectly on 2 of my
machines, but the 3rd fails.  I get all the 'normal' memdisk messages,
finishing with:

Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and press any key when ready.

The last 2 lines are embedded in the bootsector, so I know it's loaded that
correctly.

If I build an image using Win 98 Dos instead, then this works OK.  Also, if
I build a CD that uses *exactly* the same PC-Dos image as it's boot
'sector', it also boots OK.  So, the failure is only with PC-Dos and only
when loading via memdisk.

Any ideas why I am getting this failure on just one machine, with just PC-Dos.

Cheers,
Eddie