[syslinux] On the whole gfxmenu topic...

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jun 2 23:09:30 PDT 2004

I've been thinking about the whole gfxmenu thing, and I'm rather
interested in writing some VESA graphics support code for com32.
However, I'm a completely worthless graphics designer, and I really
don't want to do the graphics design, for obvious reasons.  Partly
because I think if we're going to do a graphical menu system it should
be possible to theme it, and do various kinds of animated graphics, etc.

So, if I hack up some basic graphic-access routines, is anyone
interested in actually doing the heavy lifting and making it look really
cool?

I think what I'd really like to see in the end is something that can
talk to the VESA graphics screen, if one exist, otherwise to a text-mode
  screen, and also to a serial port (using escape codes.)

The last is important and quite possibly the biggest shortcoming of the
current menu system.  Serial console is a big win, and I'd like to
eventually support network console, at least in pxelinux.