[syslinux] Position of boot.cat

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jun 16 01:09:12 PDT 2004

Erwan Velu wrote:
>>>Does some of you knows why does it act like this ?
>>
>>That would be a bios bug.
>
> But this affect several bioses, so it could a major bios bug on several
> systems ! :/

It's worse than that.  There are some BIOSes which will not boot unless
the boot catalog is in the same sector that it is on Windows CD-ROMs
(apparently Microsoft's CD-mastering software always put the boot
catalog in the same location, near the beginning of the disc.)

I would like to see mkisofs change to put the boot catalog first on the
disc, like MS software, simply because that's pretty much the only thing
that BIOS vendors test these days.

Would you be interested in raising this issue with the mkisofs folks,
and/or producing a patch?