[syslinux] Pxelinux 2.09 limitations

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jun 17 08:29:00 PDT 2004

Erwan Velu wrote:
>>Well, the maximum allowed command line is 256 characters so you might
>>have problems as you have it.
>
> 285 is the size of a complete label not the size of one line :)
>
>>It's possible but not trivial to do right.  As a hack you could apply
>>the following diff, but it's not going into mainline as a bogus config
>>file could crash pxelinux.
>
> What do you mean by a " bogus config file could crash pxelinux".
> You mean that a too long config file could brake pxelinux ?

No, I mean a LABEL line which is too long could crash pxelinux with that
patch applied.

There is a "correct" way of fixing it but it requires some restructuring
(basically, the code should handle variable-length strings and not store
a fixed-sized record for each vkernel), and I'm not doing it for 2.10.