[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.10 released, and a special thanks

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 18 14:11:21 PDT 2004

Hello, everyone;

I have released SYSLINUX 2.10; it is functionally identical to SYSLINUX
2.10-pre7.  There were a bunch of good ideas toward the end of the cycle -- I
have avoided those for the sake of stability but will try to get them into the
next release.

I would like to take this opportunity to give a special thanks to Penguin
Computing and especially Tech Support Manager Robert Connoy.  Over the years,
Penguin has donated several servers to my projects, including the one that
hosts http://syslinux.zytor.com/ as well as other projects.  In general,
Penguin has been awesome in getting me the pieces that I need for my stuff,
not just what they have readily available.  Anyway, as (bad) luck would have
it, a power surge zapped this server a few weeks ago, and Robert has been
helping me find the problem and got me the necessary parts, all under time
stress to get the system back up, burned-in and tested before I leave
(tomorrow.)  This comes only about a month after a server from another project
had a different problem -- largely caused by my trying to upgrade the server
without checking the compatibility of all the parts first.  You guys rock!

Anyway... go get SYSLINUX 2.10 from the usual place... here is the LSM:

2.10: Bug fixes and minor feature improvements.

Changes in 2.10:
         * MEMDISK: Handle images compressed with zip as well as with
           gzip.  Some Windows-based image tools apparently generate
           these kinds of images by default.  Patch by Patrick
           LoPresti.
         * Major menu improvement from Murali Ganapathy.
         * ISOLINUX: Wonderfully sick and brilliant workaround for
           severe bugs in certain Award BIOSes; from Knut Petersen.
         * SYSLINUX: Fix for the nomtools installed, from Frederic
           Pasteleurs.
         * PXELINUX: Fix handling of IP numbers in the ranges
           100-109 and 200-209.
         * ALL: New option "allowoptions" (defaults to 1), which
           controls if options are allowed on the command line or not.
         * SYSLINUX: Support building under klibc (see the klibc
           distribution for details.)

Begin3
Title:          syslinux
Version:        2.10
Entered-date:   2004-06-18
                 operating system which operates off MS-DOS floppies,
                 network servers using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs.
                 It is intended to simplify first-time installation of
                 Linux, rescue disks, and other uses for boot floppies.
                 A SYSLINUX floppy can be manipulated using standard
                 MS-DOS (or any other OS that can access an MS-DOS
                 filesystem) tools once it has been created; and
                 requires only a very small DOS or Linux program to
                 create in the first place.  It also includes MEMDISK,
                 a tool to boot legacy operating systems from
                 nontraditional media like PXE or CD-ROM.