[syslinux] memdisk: DOS as a PreOS

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at fidus.ca
Mon Jun 28 07:10:43 PDT 2004

On June 27, 2004 06:15 am, Alexander Heinz wrote:
> Is it possible to load a virtual DOS Floppy with memdisk to do a few

This I can do albeit in a limited fashion.

> to the local disk) and continue booting from the local hard disk without
> a reboot?

The "without a reboot" is an interesting challenge. For one, you have to deal
with cleaning up the virtual floppy space while executing out of it. Like
closing the hatch door on the way out; reboot punts this problem. Another is
the cmos and hook tweaks needed to redirect the original DOS to the virtual
disk need to be gone so the hd os loader doesn't trip on them.

73, Gord.