[syslinux] Manually installing syslinux?

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed Jun 30 06:17:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 07:53:05AM -0500, Nick Bartos wrote:
> If the older system's glibc was compiled with the oldest compatible kernel
> set to 2.4.20, and the new system has glibc compiled with the oldest
> compatible kernel set to 2.4.26, then the new static binary will not run
> on the old system.

A static binary should have no dependencies on the installed glibc.

The only problem I can see is if the program uses a newer form of posix
threads (nptl,floating stack,fixed stack) than the supported by the
running kernel.

As a test, a syslinux binary compiled on a FC2 system runs well on a RHL
7.1, either shared or static, and the static version runs fine on a RHL 6
based system. The shared doesn't run on that older system.

> I would like to be able to use new kernel features as they come out, and
> basically I want something that I know will work in the future reguardless
> of what I feel like changing in the new versions.

Nothing stops you from using the newer kernels with a stable and older
glibc. At least for the installer part, I don't know what great advantages
nptl could give you. ;)

Regards,
Luciano Rocha