[syslinux] Manually installing syslinux?

Nick Bartos nbartos at diamondcpu.com
Wed Jun 30 06:38:35 PDT 2004

> A static binary should have no dependencies on the installed glibc.

You're right, but it still depends on the running kernel.  I know this is
so because I didn't know of the problem until I tested it myself.  I got a
"fatal: kernel too old" message when running a new syslinux binary which
was compiled with the newer glibc with newer kernel options.

> As a test, a syslinux binary compiled on a FC2 system runs well on a RHL
> 7.1, either shared or static, and the static version runs fine on a RHL 6
> based system. The shared doesn't run on that older system.

I believe this is the case because redhat keeps their backward
compatibility set to max for obvious reasons.  I have a small system with
no package manager that does not have the ability to accept other
(compiled) programs, so I am not worried about compatibility as much as I
am optimization & performance.

I can just leave the kernel compatibility low when compiling all versions
of glibc for now, but I want to fix this eventually.

I have contemplated compiling a separate glibc for use with the new
syslinux binary, and using a different glibc for the rest of the new
system, but that just seemed a bit messy/pain.