[syslinux] Manually installing syslinux?

Nick Bartos spam99 at 2thebatcave.com
Wed Jun 30 10:05:51 PDT 2004

Here is what happened:

version 1.0:
linux kernel 2.4.20
glibc compiled with --enable-kernel=2.4.20
syslinux compiled statically

version 2.0:
linux kernel 2.4.26
glibc compiled with --enable-kernel=2.4.26
syslinuc compiled statically

the problem is that the syslinux binary compiled with version 2.0 will not
run on the version 1.0 system.  If you try to run it, you will get a
"fatal:  kernel too old" or similar message.

currently I am using --enable-kernel=2.4.20 with 2.4.26 to workaround the
problem, but I just don't like the idea that I could never use a higher
--enable-kernel= than 2.4.20.

As far as I can see, the easiest way to fix this would be to install the
bootloader manually, without any compiled binaries from version 2.0.  As I
said there are of course other options, but I want to investigate this one
fully first.  I know what the drawbacks are to those other solutions, but
not to this one, since I don't even know if this is a workable solution
yet.