[syslinux] timeout timer gets reset after bad kernel image

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 30 10:56:45 PDT 2004

You should interpret timeout as the amount of time isolinux will wait at
the boot prompt for you to press the first key without doing anything.

If you press a key within the timeout interval (just one key) then come
back after an hour (without completely typing the name of a kernel image
and hitting return), you will still see isolinux waiting for your keystroke.

So, every time isolinux gets back to the prompt, it starts the clock
ticking then. I am sure this is intentional. Even though it is possible
to get what ever behavious your want, it is not worth the effort to
implement that, considering that isolinux's basic functionality is to
provide you with an interface by which you select the kernel image to
boot into. Anything more than that is just for the look and feel.

- Murali