[syslinux] initramfs and kernel 2.6.7

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed Jun 30 13:07:51 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:53:50PM +0200, Arkadiusz Patyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I 'am trying to launch linux kernel 2.6.7 with initramfs.
>
> My pxelinux.cfg/default file looks as follows:
> default a1
> prompt 1
> timeout 600
> label a1
> kernel vmlinuz-2.6.7-1
> append initrd=initramfs_data.cpio.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
>
> Kernel image  vmlinuz-2.6.7-1 and  initramfs_data.cpio.gz was loaded
> succesfully by pxelinux.
>
> Kernel says:
> checking if image is initramfs... it is
>
> but later occurs an error:
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram0
>
> Full log: http://rescuecd.pld-linux.org/minicom.cap
>
> What should I do to run my system?
> Maybe root=/dev/ram0 is not correct?

If I understand the documentation correctly - and that's my only
experience with initramfs, I'm still trying to get some time to get my
hands dirty - it could be one of these:

. the cpio wasn't created in the "new" format (cpio -c)
. there is no /init in the cpio archive
. root=/dev/ram0 shouldn't work. that would be parsed and acted upon by
  prepare_namespace(), that initramfs+/init replaces

Sorry for talking only from documentation, not experience, but I hope this
helps.

The documentation can be found in Documentation/early-userspace, in kernel
source.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.