[syslinux] Problem with syslinux booting via network in floppy image

Theunis Potgieter theunis at ananzi.co.za
Wed Sep 15 01:20:41 PDT 2004

Hi as described on the syslinux pxe webpage:

A multi-hardware boot floppy is included with Windows
Server 2000 and 2003. A company called Argon Technology
used to offer a free-as-in-beer updated version, but is
seems to have gone fully commercial. This floppy (which can
also be burned to a CD using El Torito in floppy-emulation
mode), is known to work with PXELINUX 2.03 or later only

I'm using the free client from 3com, that looks exactly the
same as Argon Technology's client. All the PC clients are
PXE clients.

Firstly I want to say, using bpbatch to boot and load the
syslinux image works 100%, but I was forced to use the 3com
setup to load other ms dos images (to use the universal
ndis pxe dos driver). Now the problem using the
Argon/3com boot menu, is that it stops at the screen:

Could not find ramdisk image: initrd.gz

I would guess that it could be

1) when vmlinuz loads it reinitialize the memory and wipe
out the ram floppy image...

2) when booting, the initrd.gz is not on /dev/fd0 because
the 3com/Argon pxe boot loader do not emulate like bpbatch
does. So it would be something else ?

Can I add something else to floppy image that will make it
boot via the network ?