[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.11-pre8 -- release candidate

Samuel Clements sclements at linkline.com
Mon Aug 29 11:42:38 PDT 2005

> Okay... it seems you were the unwitting beneficiary of a bug in those
> releases (and yes, it's the damned equipment byte again.)  The big
> question is what to do about it, since unfixing it obviously will break
> other systems.
>
> I need some information from you:
>
> a. Does this system have any physical floppy disks?
> b. Can you boot DOS either using a real floppy or using MEMDISK in *HARD
> DISK MODE* and enter the following commands and tell me the output:
>
> debug
> d 0:410 l1
> a 100
> mov ah,8
> mov dl,0
> int 13
> int 3
>
> g=100
>
> (that's a blank line after "int 3")
>
>     -hpa

a) some of our systems do have floppies attached, some do not. The
problem only exists on systems with no drive attached and it goes away
with any of: USB Floppy, 'real' floppy, or USB flash drive attached

b) booted off of 256M flash drive and ran debug with the following output:

AX=0800 BX=0000 CX=0000 DX=0000 SP=FFEE BP=0000 SI=0000 DI=0000
DS=151A ES=151A SS=151A CS=151A IP=0106 NV UP DI PL NZ NA PO CY
151A:0106 CC          INT    3

(transcribed by hand, but I triple checked it ;) )

and the memdisk from the previous email resolves this problem.
   -Sam