[syslinux] problem with PXElinux and security of local LAN

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 19 10:12:36 PST 2005

Here is an ideal solution. I dont know how much of this is really possible.

(1) Set your BIOS to boot from the local hard disk.
(2) Use SYSLINUX as your boot loader and run a COMBOOT code (stored in
your hard disk)
(3) The COMBOOT Code figures out Who the DHCP server it is talking to,
and has some kind of check.
(4) If check works out, then chain boot your PXE ROM

First this is essentially security by obscurity, i.e. in step (3), I am
assuming that the DHCP server sends an additional string X
(actually COMBOOT code asks the DHCP server for X). There is some magic
string hard wired into the COMBOOT code,
which gets encrypted using the current date as the key. If the encrypted
string is X then you can trust the DHCP server.
If the bad guy finds out the magic string (which is never sent over the
network), then there is no security left.

It would be cool if this can be implemented. One real life situation
where SYSLINUX on HDD beats other boot loaders.

- Murali