[syslinux] Trying to work around a 0.99h client.

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 4 11:33:04 PST 2005

Hi

I've mentioned before my attempt to get a 0.99h client running pxelinux
and here is my current problem.

I've got pxelinux, dhcpd  and tftp-hpa running on my server and the
client requests a DHCP lease and gets it. It also gets the filename to
download via tftp. It then sends a request to the correct address for
the correct file and tftp-hpa starts trying to send it the file. But
the client doesn't ACK any packets and so after a short while, the
client requests the file again, seemingly thinking its request was
ignored.

I have set the "-r blksize" option for tftp-hpa and I have used another
client to connect over tftp to get the file. The other client (my mac
laptop) had no problems and the file transfer was successful. I have
seen some references to using the chroot directory to mean the client
doesn't have to request a file within a directory so I have changed
this and retested using the laptop. The file was available. The client
is now asking for simply "pxelinux.0" and it still doesn't ACK any
packets.

I have been following all of this simply by using tcpdump on my server
so I haven't seen the raw data of any packets.

I notice in the tftp-hpa man pages you can increase the verbosity of
the daemon but I can't find where it logs this to. I have looked in the
syslog and seen no tftp messages (but I get all of the DHCP lease info
here). Where does tftp-hpa log to?

Additionally, are there any other options to tftp-hpa that are likely
to help here? I have not seen anything that seems obvious.

Thanks in advance.

-Michael