[syslinux] pxelinux feature request

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Mon Jan 3 17:41:22 PST 2005

Hello!

I have outlined a proposal for a new feature of pxelinux in
http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2004-December/004360.html (see
the last couple of sentences) but nobody has commented it, so I am
asking again:

Imagine a company with a lot of departments and where network booting is
widely used. Each department has different needs when it comes to
operating systems.
Because things change very often, it would be a nightmare for a single
administrator to update the pxelinux configuration file.
The administrator should be able to delegate the task of maintainung the
configuration file to the departments:
The master configuration file created by the administrator only provides
a basic set of boot images and each department should be able to add new
ones.
Therefore I think that a LOADCONFIG command would be useful for pxelinux.

Here is an expample:
pxelinux.cfg/default
LABEL load_new_config
	LOADCONFIG 192.168.0.1::my_new_config

when load_new_config is selected pxelinux downloads the file
"my_new_config" from the TFTP server with the IP 192.168.0.1 and uses it
as its configuration file.

Comments? Good or bad idea (and why)?

Alex