[syslinux] pxelinux feature request

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Mon Jan 3 18:35:28 PST 2005

> while and include mechanism would be nice,
> I would be a bit concerned about the exposure to a trojan file.
>
> and what if numeric ips are later supplemented with DNS lookups ?
> are you now exposed to dns hijacking w/in your network ?

dns hijacking is already a problem with current versions of pxelinux and
not specific to my proposal.

> If this duct-tape is holding your enterprise together,
> it seems safer to get updates by email, then push those
> out after youve inspected them etc..

That would be a lot of (stupid) work for a single person if there are
frequent updates.

> how much updating do you envision happening that
> a simpler include mechanism would still be a burden?

What do you mean by "include mechaism"?
Should pxelinux treat the text contained in a file specified by INCLUDE
as a part of its own configuration file?
That would do the job but incorrect syntax of an included file would
jeopardize network booting.

Alex